The Conjuring Arts Research Center is a non-profit library and research center located steps off of Fifth Ave in midtown Manhattan. Housed in 2,600 square feet, the jewel of Conjuring Arts is its library, which consists of over 12,000 volumes devoted to magic and its allied arts.
The collection is noted for its emphasis on early conjuring books, including more than a thousand volumes printed before the year 1900. Its 500 plus volume collection of conjuring books printed prior to 1700 is one of the better collections of early magic books. In addition to books published in English, the library holds rare Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Latin, French, German, Swedish and Japanese language conjuring books.
The library also maintains an extensive collection of manuscripts of magic methods, some dating back to the 15th century. Included in this collection is a rare, unpublished manuscript by Marion Spielmann, the only known student of the great card master Charlier. Conjuring Arts also has an interesting collection of letters including correspondence between Hugard, Braue and Fleming, as well as a great selection of Ed Marlo letters.
For those interested in the recorded dialogues of the magic community, the library has a magic periodical collection, some published as far back as the 18th century. Complete collections of The Sphinx, Genii, MUM and other major and minor periodicals are also available.
Conjuring Arts also possesses some of the original apparatus sold by famous magic creators including Charles Jordan and Theo Deland.